19th and 20th centuries
Church of Uganda (Anglican)
Lazaro Kumugungunu was a Muhima who was baptized on August 9, 1903 at Mbarara. In 1905 he was sent to Mengo High School and was confirmed whilst there. In 1908 he returned to Ankole and became clerk to Nuwa Mbaguta, the enganzi (chief minister). He was appointed gombolola chief at Kyagaju near Kabwohe in 1912. This was a church center, and he gave much help to the church and encouraged education. From 1918 to 1924 he was saza chief on Bunyaruguru, the westernmost saza of Ankole. From 1924 to 1926 he took over from Mbaguta as saza chief of Kashari and Nyabushozi. From 1926 to 1938 he was both acting enganzi under Mbaguta and also chief judge, and in 1938 appointed enganzi on the death of Mbaguta, and continued to hold this office until his retirement in 1946. Still alive in 1966, and spending much of his time on his newly acquired ranch in Nyabushozi, being one of the largest cattle-owners in Ankole.
Notes (short form; see List of Sources for complete citations):
Based on his own information.
This biography, written by Louise Pirouet, was included in “Appendix A: Biographical Notes,” on page 399 of “The Expansion of the Church of Uganda (N.A.C.) from Buganda into Northern and Western Uganda between 1891 and 1914, with Special Reference to the work of African Teachers and Evangelists” (PhD Thesis: University of East Africa, 1968). Pirouet published this thesis as Black Evangelists (London: Rex Collings, 1978). However, Black Evangelists does not reproduce the detailed biographies, complete with references to sources, found in Appendix A of the thesis. Print copies are available at Africana Section, Makerere University Library (U 02 P57); The Centre for Christianity Worldwide, Cambridge; and a microfilm copy at the School of Oriental Studies, London. [information from Angus Crichton]